Fiscal: Inventory/Property FAQs

AboutThe Property Office oversees the state’s inventory for Texas A&M AgriLife Research, the Texas A&M AgriLife Extension Service, and the Texas A&M Veterinary Medical Diagnostic Laboratory. The job of the Property Office is to insure that correct procedures are followed, assist Department/Units in managing and accounting for their inventory by tracking assets from acquisition to deletion, and accurately reporting to the State of Texas Comptroller the required asset data.


FAQsdown arrow
Horizontal Rule Line

I need to bring some items to A&M surplus. What forms do I need?

  • An approved online property transfer document created in Canopy. This transfer document MUST be approved by the Property Office before items can be taken to A&M surplus. Once transfer document has been approved by the Property Office, you will need to take a copy of the document along with the items to A&M surplus. We also suggest asking for a signed copy of the online document from A&M surplus to keep for your departmental records. This method will also apply to those departments that are not located on campus. For step-by-step online property transfer instructions, please contact the Property Office.


I have some old computers, printers, and broken equipment that I don’t want to take to A&M surplus. What other ways can they be disposed?

  • If you are located on-campus, computers, other computer-related equipment and printers MUST be taken to A&M surplus.  If you are located off-campus you may dispose of in the following ways:
    • Contact your county office
    • Local schools
    • Volunteer fire department, local library, etc.
    • Approved non-profit and assistance organizations
    • Texas Department of Criminal Justice (TDCJ)
  • Please refer to the Property Office Web site under “Links” for the last two listed above.


Why do we receive inventory certification twice a year to complete?

  • You receive inventory certifications twice a year to ensure that a complete physical audit of your departmental inventory is performed at least once each fiscal year. When you receive your first notification in June, a preliminary copy of the inventory will be sent to each unit head who will forward to the Assistant Accountable Property Officer (AAPO) who will take or oversee a complete physical inventory. The certification on the last page is to be signed by the two people who did the inventory and filed in your folder for the auditors. Once you have received the final inventory certification in November you will only have to verify the inventory items that has been added since the previous certification and is to be signed by the AAPO and department head.


When I have corrections to be made to inventory certification, what do I need to do?

  • In June, when you are performing your physical departmental inventory and you have corrections that need to be made, you can update building number, building campus, room number, group code, condition and UIN on screen 535. If you do not have access to this screen in FAMIS, you can indicate on your inventory listing where the corrections need to be made and submit a copy only (not original) to the Property Office and we will make the corrections for you.


Does the Property Office require the inventory certification to be returned?

  • The Property Office only requires a COPY of the inventory verification list be submitted if any changes are to be made as specified in the cover letter. The original inventory verification listing is to be kept in your departmental office files for auditing purposes.
  • The final inventory for the fiscal year will require that you submit one copy of the “Certification of Physical Inventory of Property” to the Property Office as specified in the cover letter.


Can I be the same person that verifies the inventory and sign the certification?

  • Yes, inventory certification is completed and signed by the two individuals who physically verify the items.


We purchased a computer with an extended warranty. Is the class code the same as the computer?

  • Warranties that are not included in the price of the computer and the cost is separately identified on the invoice should not be coded the same as the computer. They should be given the class code for maintenance and repair, 5536.


The invoice shows freight charges for an item that was purchased. What is the correct class code to use?

  • Freight costs need to be included in the value of the asset and should be coded the same as the equipment. The asset value should also include all costs required to place the asset into service, such as installation, handling, etc.


We have a split payment with another agency. What information is required?

  • A split payment is when more than one agency is paying for an item. Payments made by each agency will require preliminary fixed asset information to be completed. The other agencies asset number needs to be referenced in the field marked “Related Asset” on screen 362 in FAMIS.


We have a trade-in for new equipment that we are purchasing. What information is required?

  • Trade-ins should be noted in the P/L/E purchasing documents listing the asset number and how much you are getting for it. Trade-ins must be on your department’s inventory. If not, then a property transfer form must be completed in order for it to be added. Trade-ins can only be used for the same type of items.


What if I do not know the room number or location of an asset at the time I need to create the preliminary fixed asset information?

  • You will need to enter 00001 in the building field using your agencies campus number. Enter any information that will help locate that item now, in the interim, in the section “Other Location.” Also, fill in the group code of the person who will be primarily responsible for the equipment. When the permanent location is known, then update screen 535 in FAMIS.


How long do I have before I have to place the inventory decal sticker on an item that was just purchased?

  • The inventory decal sticker must be permanently affixed to an item promptly upon receipt and acceptance, but no later than 10 calendar day after receipt.


The new computer we ordered came with a monitor. Is the class code the same as the computer? Do I have to place an inventory decal sticker on the monitor also?

  • If the computer and monitor are purchased as a package, the system will be inventoried as a whole and class code for a computer system less than $5,000 should be 5787.
  • The monitor does not require that an inventory decal sticker be placed on it because they can easily be used with another computer system.


How is missing and stolen equipment recorded on inventory?

  • Missing and stolen items should be reported to your department head and the Property Office within 24 hours.
  • Complete and sign form AG-308 Missing and Stolen Property Report, form AG-302 Inventory Deletion Request. Include a copy of the police report (where applicable), and any other supporting documentation and forward to the Property Office.
  • Missing property will remain on your departmental inventory for at least two years. Stolen property however, will be deleted immediately.
  • The inventory records will identify missing inventory with the letter MH or ST in the condition field. If your annual certification lists items as missing, simply verify this status. There is no need to resubmit missing documentation to the Property Office.
  • If the property has been recovered, please notify the Property Office immediately so we can change the status in the records and possibly be put back on inventory, depending on condition.


We have a vehicle that our department would like to sell. What do I need to do?

  • You will need to complete the form AG-303 Request to Sell and submit to the Property Office. Listed are several ways in which to sell your vehicle:
    • LoneStar Auction online. Instructions and forms for selling online through LoneStar Auction are on the Property Office Web site under the section “Links.” The spreadsheet and four pictures of your vehicle will need to be forwarded to the Property Office. This is the preferred method for selling vehicles but not limited to.
    • Live auction held in local or surrounding area.
    • Sealed bids.
    • Salvage yard.


Can our department sell equipment that will no longer be used?

  • Yes, equipment that can no longer be used may be sold to departments or as suggested above for sell of vehicles. Be sure that all inventory and property stickers are removed from the equipment before the sale takes place.


Can any employee purchase a piece of State equipment?

  • Yes and No. Property cannot be sold outright to an employee. However, they can participate in the sealed bid sales or online and live auctions.


Our department has received a new vehicle. What information is needed by the Property Office?

  • The Property Office will be notified that a new vehicle for a department has fixed asset information pending when Disbursements has paid the voucher. The preliminary fixed asset information already created in FAMIS will place this vehicle on the departmental inventory once it has been approved by the Property Office.
    • Texas A&M AgriLife Research: You will receive an application for title of a new vehicle, odometer statement and the Origin for Certificate of Title from the dealership. You will need to complete an application for non-exempt State of Texas license plates that can be obtained from your local vehicle registration office. All of the above paperwork will need to be taken to your local vehicle registration office.  They will issue new vehicle license plates and should mail the title information to Texas Department of Public Safety. Once you have received the actual title for the new vehicle, the Property Office needs a copy only for our vehicle records. The original title should be retained in your departmental office files.
    • Texas A&M AgriLife Extension Service: The fleet office will take care of the vehicle titles and license plates.


How do I get a decal for the new vehicle our department just received? Where do we take it to get the decal applied to our vehicle?

  • You will need to contact John Dupree at the Riverside Campus Warehouse at 845-6571.
  • If you have an Extension vehicle, you will need to make an appointment with John.
  • If you have a Research vehicle, you have the choice of putting it on yourself or using an automotive dealership.


Do we need to notify anyone about insurance concerning the purchase of our department’s new vehicle? Do we automatically receive full coverage insurance for our new vehicle?

  • Once your department’s new vehicle fixed asset information has been approved by the Property Office, they will notify the Office of Risk Management and request that the new vehicle be added to the insurance policy for motor vehicles for the Texas A&M AgriLife Research and Extension agencies. Please contact your fleet representative concerning insurance cards.
  • Your new vehicle will be covered for liability coverage only. If you would like to carry full coverage insurance, the department has to notify the Office of Risk Management directly. Please contact Debbie Smith at (979) 458-6009. They will issue you a separate insurance card showing full coverage.


How does our department acquire insurance for other equipment that we currently have on inventory?

  • All motorized and person driven equipment is automatically insured at the same time your vehicles are.
  • There is a policy for all electrical type equipment, such as computers, pumps, scientific equipment, etc. that the Property Office will notify all departments at renewal time for any additions or deletions.


I have heard of something called “Canopy.” What is this? Am I required to use it?

  • Canopy is a web enabled BPP/FAMIS program within the Texas A&M University System. It requires your FAMIS user ID and password in which to access.
  • It can be used in place of FAMIS FFX, however you will be required to use Canopy to process property transfers within your agency and to A&M surplus. The ability to transfer between agencies will be implemented in the near future.


We have purchased items that need to be inventoried on our departmental purchasing card. Do I need to create a L-Doc?

  • Items purchased on the departmental purchasing card that are to be inventoried should not have an L-Doc created for the expense. It is the department’s responsibility to create a Q-Doc in FAMIS, create the preliminary fixed asset information, and submit via Pathway Net.


What is a Q-Doc?

  • A Q-Doc is used to process items that are purchased using the departmental purchasing card that are to be inventoried. By creating a Q-Doc, this allows the Property Office to identify these types of purchases that are made with the purchasing card and process accordingly.



Comments are closed.