A new position description may be created by a supervisor or a unit contact. Once a position description is approved by the unit/department head, Human Resources will review and forward to the appropriate administrator for final approval.
- Specific Instructions for Creating a Position Description in GreatJobs
- Scan and save a copy of any needed supporting documents, such as approval memos, etc., to your computer.
- Login to GreatJobs. Under “Position Description” in the blue margin on the left, select “Begin New Action.”
- Under “New Position Description,” select “Start Action.” This takes you to the “Copy Approved Position” screen, allowing you to copy an existing position with the same title. If no copying, select the “Proposed Title” tab. Select the appropriate Position Title from the drop-down menu. Click “Search.” Then click “Select Title and Continue.”
- Click on the “Proposed Job Details” tab and enter all required data. Move the unit contact, unit/department head, supervisor, the associate department head, if applicable, into the “Selected” box. Click “Continue to Next Page.”
- Select “Add New Entry” on the “Proposed Job Duties” screen. Complete the three required fields for the first duty and click “Add Entry.” Repeat until all duties have been entered. Click on “Continue to Next Page.”
- Complete the “Proposed Job Requirements” screen and click on “Continue to Next Page.”
- Complete the “Action Justification” screen and click on “Continue to Next Page.”
- Supporting documents may be attached on the “Documents” screen by clicking on “Attach” and browsing to locate the saved document(s) on your computer. When finished, click on “Preview Action.”
- When finished, select “Send for Unit Head Review.” (If required, you may need to select “Send for Associate Department Head Review” prior to sending it on to the Unit Head. After the Associate Department Head has reviewed the position, he/she will forward to the Unit/Department Head.). The Unit Contact may also click on “Save Action Without Submitting” and complete the action at a later date.
- After the position description has been approved, the Unit Contact will receive an automated email verification.
- To locate the approved action, login to GreatJobs and click on “Search Position Descriptions.” Record the “Action PAD Number.” The Action PAD Number is required on the Notice of Vacancy (NOV) and Electronic Payroll Authorization (EPA).
A Notice of Vacancy is posted in GreatJobs to advertise and collect applicants. The Recruiting and Selection Guide for Hiring Managers and Supervisors containes information on developing a recruiting plan, using GreatJobs to post, advertise, and fill a vacancy, and interviewing.
- Recruiting and Selection Guide for Hiring Managers
- GreatJobs Tutorial: Demonstrates how to post and manage a NOV in GreatJobs
- Hiring Employees
The Recruiting and Selection Guide for Hiring Managers and Supervisors contains information on conducting background and reference checks, writing an offer letter, and closing an NOV in GreatJobs.
Create an Electronic Payroll Authorization (EPA) and submit to Payroll