Ethics & Compliance: Biosafety

AboutResponsible for providing training and support to faculty and staff engaged in scientific research involving biohazards and recombinant DNA. Specific areas include, but are not limited to IBC permit application support and guidance using iRIS, approval process assistance, and continuing review of IBC permits.


quick resources

Approval Process | Resources | Forms | FAQs | Training


Learn Moredown arrow
Horizontal Rule Line

All research conducted by a member of the faculty or staff of Texas A&M, or a component of The Texas A&M University System with a written agreement for biosafety related services with Texas A&M, involving any of the agents/materials listed below, must be approved by the Institutional Biosafety Committee (IBC) prior to initiation:

  • Pathogens and potential pathogens of humans, animals, or plants;
  • Materials potentially containing human pathogens (including human blood, tissue, and cell lines; non-human primate blood, tissue, and cell lines);
  • Recombinant DNA (and RNA), including creation or use of transgenic plants and animals;
  • Select agents and toxins (see including strains and amounts exempted from the select agent regulations; or
  • Any material requiring a CDC import license or a USDA permit.



Biosafety Occupational Health Informationdown arrow
Horizontal Rule Line

Research personnel listed on any IBC research permit working with agents at Biosafety Level 2 (BL2) or Biosafety Level 3 (BL3), or listed on IACUC Teaching or Research Animal Use Protocols (AUP), must be enrolled in the Biosafety Occupational Health Program (BOHP) using the Biosafety Occupational Health Program Enrollment Form.

All University operations personnel determined to have a risk of exposure to hazardous biological agents in the course of their employment must be enrolled in the BOHP using the Biosafety Occupational Health Program Enrollment Form.

All visitors or collaborators who visit laboratories or animal programs that require BOHP enrollment, or those collaborators who are listed on an Animal Use Protocol or Institutional Biosafety Permit at BL2 or BL3, must be registered with the BOHP using the Visitor/Collaborator Registration Form.



Resourcesdown arrow
Horizontal Rule Line


AgriLife Photos


Comments are closed.